Saturday, January 16, 2010

NOODLES WITH PRAWNS AND SUN DRIED TOMATOES


This dish is like a book with three main characters, all equally important, interesting and with personality.

Noodles, sundried tomatoes and prawns. Each one different in flavour, texture and taste. I used whole wheat organic noodles which had a good bite to it, prawns that were full of flavour, succulent and juicy and sundried tomatoes that were quite intense, a little sour and with a sweetness of its own.


The little sidekicks were a couple of garlic cloves and some chillie paste to spice things up a little. And some sweet basil leaves to add interest and to humour me.

It turned out to be a very simple, interesting and delicious dish. And I loved it.


I first came across the use of sundried tomatoes in a noodle cookbook I had bought once upon a time long long ago. Yes ~ that long. 


And ever since then I have been meaning to try sundried tomatoes because it was an ingredient that was new to me and it sounded and looked really good. After many many years of meaning to-s I have in the end made it. 

And I'm glad I did. It's good. So very good. Like all simple things in life.


 
Here's the recipe by Kit Chan that I tweaked a little...........

6 oz dried noodles, boiled according to instructions, kept aside
7-8 large prawns, shelled  with tails left intact  and deveined
5-6 sundried tomatoes, sliced into strips
2 cloves garlic, pounded or grated to a paste
1-2 tsp chillie paste,fresh or bottled
2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
some sweet basil leaves, washed and drained
2 T cooking oil

Season the prawns with soy sauce and sugar. Keep aside

Pound two pieces of the sundried tomato to a paste using a pestle and mortar. 

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Saute the garlic and then add the prawns and saute until the prawns are just done and pink. Lift off the prawns and keep aside.

Add the remaining oil and saute the sundried tomato paste and the chillie paste for a minute. Add the noodles and mix well. Add a little stock or water if too dry. Sprinkle some salt and and mix well. 

Throw in the prawns and basil leaves and mix again. Serve.












26 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

What a splendid pasta dish! I must bookmark this recipe for my next pasta dish.

La Table De Nana said...

I think the plate is quite delicious too:) I love prawns and sun dried tomatoes w/ pasta and garlic..C'est bon et beau!

Unknown said...

I agree with you, simple things are often so good
This plat looks so great, prawns and sun dried tomatoes, un délice !

Barbara said...

It's a beautiful dish, colorful and with great flavors. I use sun dried tomatoes a lot; can't wait to try them in your dish!

fimere said...

une assiette de pâtes très alléchantes et irrésistible, j'adore
bonne soirée

MaryMoh said...

That's what I need now....a good bowl of fried noodles to cheer me up in this freezing weather. I love all those prawns...mmmm

Unknown said...

I love your plate! So pretty. Great meal. Very tempting

Linda said...

Oh this looks simply wonderful...
I would love this right now for dinner...
Gorgeous!

chow and chatter said...

this looks amazing, love your recipes, I will be making this Zurin I right for an Alaskan Seafood company could I feature this recipe and link it back to you?

Rebecca

tracieMoo said...

I really love these noodles with prawns. Never tried them with tomatoes though, but it sounds delicious, Zurin :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This sound delicious, I never tried sundried tomatoes before, must buy some and try.

Zurin said...

Angie, m glad u like it. do try :)

Monique, tq. yes they are good together :)

Chapot. oh yes always the simple things are best :)

Babara, hope u try! :)

ADDG, tq so much :)

Mary, ys real nice for a cold day or hot :)

Wizzy, tq :))

Linda, tq too :))

Rebecca, tq. by all means I wld be totally honoured! :)

Tracie, tq its good ..u must gv it a go! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting touch with the sun dried tomatoes! Never had noodle with such interesting combinations. Very creative!

3 hungry tummies said...

yum yum yum! I can have 2 servings of that!

Pei-Lin said...

The noodle dish looks very yummy!! Indeed an interesting blend of flavors!!

Zu, where can I locate sun-dried tomatoes in KL? Would love to try it, too!!

Keep it up! Loving your writing, stories & food!!

Pei-Lin

Zurin said...

Pei Lin, tq, u can get sundried tomatoes in jars easily at Jusco and other supermarkets...hope u'll try :))

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

You probably have the same in Malaysia but your dish reminds me of an Indian Fried Noodle dish we have here. Fried with Fresh tomato and ketchup with other condiments such as potato and onions.. Now you have given me an idea to utilise those extra potatoes left over from Christmas!

Kate at Serendipity said...

This is all about the best of Italian food--simple, carefully prepared, DELICIOUS. YUM, is all I can add!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love this recipe. It sounds and looks delicious. I have a weakness for noodles.

pigpigscorner said...

This looks and sounds great! I love how you spiced it up!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks delicious-like a cross between Asian and Italian cuisine! I'm crazy for sun dried tomatoes and I should not be left alone with a jar lol

Thibeault's Table said...

Gorgeous pictures. This dish looks so good. I can't wait until Prawn season opens out here. This will definitely be on the menu.

Marija said...

What a lovely dish! And beautiful photos!

Divina Pe said...

I absolutely love this pasta. You combined a few of my favorite things. Chilis, prawns and sun dried tomatoes. :D

B & D said...

i love this recipe...the combo of my fav. prawns and noodles...just love it!! :)

Yours Truly said...

this looks too good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails