Monday, June 7, 2010

SHORTBREAD COOKIE SHELLS


When a gurl gets going the going gets gurrrly. I was in the mood for something purrrrty so I made some 'oysters', filled it with nutella, inserted a silver dragee inside, pulled out my string of pearls, did everything up, around it, in pink and snapped a picture. It looked purrrty guurrrrly. When a gurl gets going the going gets purrrrty gurrrrly.

Shells are so pretty. So when I came across a cookie mould that would yield pretty dainty shell shaped cookies I did not overwork my brain. I bought it and these are what came out of it. Shortbread shells with a drop of silver in each purrrty purse. Precious!

They are made from Mary Berry's shortbread recipe. They are quite delicious although  I do think it could do with an ounce more of butter. As with a typical shortbread recipe this had a little rice flour in it which provided  those teeny bits of crunch as you bite into it. And it held its shape quite well as it baked. Unless you're moulding them into a fancy shape like I did an ounce more of butter could only make it better ~ that much more buttery with a more melt-in-the-mouth sensation as it hits your tongue.




Now to the cookie mould. This little charming mould stamped out perfect shells. It is one of the different kinds of moulds that I had made the pineapple jam tarts with. I now have a precious collection of all the different shapes available. These cookie presses are very commonly found here in Malaysia and I think in Singapore too. As the years go by more and more patterns are added. I think these are one of the newer shapes available. They would make lovely gifts for passionate bakers. They're very inexpensive too. Isn't it sweet?




The recipe ~ by Mary Berry ~




4 oz plain flour
2 oz rice flour
4 oz butter, extra for greasing
2 oz castor sugar, extra for sprinkling


Sift flour and rice flour into a medium bowl. Rub in butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Pour in the sugar and stir. Then bring the mixture together kneading a little until it forms a soft ball.


Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper and cut out with a cookie mould, or cut into fingers (and prick surface with a fork to form little holes) or form into large circle (bake whole and cut into wedges 5 minutes after it comes out of the oven).


Place on a baking tray and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the design and size of the biscuits.  Allow to cool before storing. Or.......I sandwiched mine with Nutella.  I would have much preferred a rich smooth chocolate ganache instead. But I didn't have that.

It's just being cute ~




Them too ~








38 comments:

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zurin, how charming - very girly indeed.You sea shell sandwiches are just perfect and absolutely creative to photograph this with the pink pearls...!

ICook4Fun said...

They are pretty indeed. Too pretty to eat it. Zu, may I know where you buy the cookie cutter?

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

sono davvero delle " perle preziose " questi biscotti, ciao :)

Allie and Pattie said...

Zurin, they're more than pretty- they're beautiful!! I'm scouring the internet for those lovely molds. I absolutely love them! :)
xoxo Pattie

tasteofbeirut said...

Zurin

These cookies are delightful! I need the mold quickly so I can make them with my 4 year old niece when I see her!

pam said...

Soooo pretty! I love girly and charming, especially in my cookies!

busygran said...

Shortbread is my alltime favourite but also bad for my waistline. Soooo tempting and beautifulicious too!

Angie's Recipes said...

Zurin, these cookies are so preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety!

Tasty Trix said...

Ah, your comments are back on! That's good, because how would I stand it if I couldn't tell you how lovely these shells are??

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this look so beautiul.

WendyinKK said...

I want to get that mould!!!!!

I love those "pearls" peeping at me

Zurin said...

Helllooo everyone! gosh its great to hear from all of you!

Gert,

I got the moulds at Jusco dept store. u cn also get them at TMC in Bangsar if ur in KL or even Tesco. its actually quite everywhere. :)

ann low said...

Oh Zurin, I don't think I can get the cutter here, too bad :(
Anyway your cookies look perfect!

Pam said...

These are too cute! Lovurrrrrrly pics too! Glad you included the recipe!

Lidia said...

Nice and good!!!!!! Yammy!!

Federica Simoni said...

wow sono semplicemente favolosi!!!troppo bello lo stampino!!!sembrano conchiglie vere!!!!complimenti!!!!ciaoooooooooooooooooooooo

Michelle and Gabby said...

mhmm the chocolate sounds delicious! i love the pretty seashell shape :)

Gaëlle said...

SO pretty! So girly! So yummy

Love that

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh Zurin I absolutely love these and very clever using a shell for an imprint! Just gorgeous! :D

Unknown said...

These are so pretty. Love the food styling and the texture of these cookies

Esme said...

Wow is all I have to say-these almost look too good to eat.

pierre said...

maybe girly but it would not prevent me to take one !! Pierre de Pris

Nishant said...

I love girly and charming, especially in my cookies!
Adsense Alternative

pigpigscorner said...

So pretty!!!

Faida said...

Aunty Zurin, You are not only good in baking, you decorated well too. Nice picture background.

Daniela said...

Fantastici questi biscottini, complimenti. Ciao Daniela.

Linda said...

Gorgeous Zu...I cherish mine!
Love the shell!

Kate at Serendipity said...

These are darling. I love the pearls with them--and IN them! You're a genius.

Elin Chia said...

Zurin...such lovely cookies ! Gurly and Purrty :))Thanks for sharing. Great pics :))

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Such a beautiful post Zurin! I feel happy just staring at your pictures. What a great idea to throw in a dragee =)

My Man's Belly said...

How cute! These would be perfect for a little girl's tea party.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I've been searching for your tart presses too since the pineapple tarts post with no success.

However, I finally found an ebay seller in Malaysia that has a range and will ship worldwide. Incase it helps any of your other readers too - their sellers name is " noonoo0_2 "

I hope my little tarts come out as beautiful as yours. They're stunning Zurin

Ciao Chow Linda said...

positively beautiful cookies. I want some of those little shell forms. The pearls and photo styling are lovely too.

denise @ quickies on the dinner said...

Oh , how precious!! They remind me of madeleines! I love the silver dragee inside each!! A gurl should do what a gurl wants to do!!

Anonymous said...

mummy the second pic looks like the cookies are going to start singing LOOOOOOOOL i can't help imaginng the shell opening and revealing the chocolatey mouths with silver in them pulling one of the opera high notes LOOOL..lovely photos!

juli (malas nak login)

3 hungry tummies said...

You are very funny Zurin..now I know what a gurly gurl gets up to lol
Very entertaining and it just put a big smile on my face!

a quiet life said...

you are just an artist... i love looking at all your pics, everything is done with such care, i am drinking in everything like i came from the sahara...

Mihaela said...

These look so lovely, now I'm going to look for molds :) I can't wait to make it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails