Monday, May 24, 2010

PEANUT THUMBPRINT NUTELLA COOKIES


These cookies made the top 9 on Foodbuzz today, 26th May. Happy Buzz day!

I came up with a peanut thumbprint cookie with a nutella centre. Clever me. It was very very delicious. 

The recipe for the peanut cookie was adapted from...here's the Link and Credit Tree......

                                       Malaysia Best
                                                 |
                                     A Table for Two
                                                 |
                                    Citrus and Candy
                                                 |
                                    Cherry On A Cake

Yup. We're related. Through food. I made some changes though. Instead of using 250 ml of oil I halved the amount and used butter to replace. I also rolled the cookie dough balls in chopped peanuts and then made a thumbprint and after they had baked and cooled down I filled them with nutella. I was so pleased with myself (and the cookies) because I liked the way they looked, the taste and the variety of textures that I could get all in one cookie. *A big pat on my back*. Yes I'm that pleased :)))  And it is a fusion of an Asian and a Western cookie. 

These peanut cookies (Fah Sang Peng) are a popular must-have cookie during Chinese New Year and they have a distinctive Asian flavour because of the use of oil instead of butter. But with the replacement of half the oil with butter they developed a richer flavour. They were delicious as in very delicious. 

May I also add that my indecisiveness between making a thumbprint cookie and a peanut cookie had led to this. 


The recipe ~

Yield : 45 cookies


300 gm groudnuts, ground finely
200 gm castor sugar
250 gm AP flour
125 ml vegetable oil
125 gm butter, softened


Extra chopped peanuts for coating 
Egg white for dipping
Nutella for the centres


Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until soft and creamy. Add in ground peanuts, castor sugar, flour and mix until evenly combined. The mixture will still be dry and crumbly. Pour in the oil as the mixer runs and stop when the mixture comes together without being too soft and sticky. It should feel comfortable without being crumbly or too soft.

Roll in 1 inch balls. I used a melon baller. Roll into a smooth ball and dip in egg white and then in chopped peanuts. Place on a baking tray and make a depression in the centre either with your thumb or the end of the handle of a wooden spoon (I used the broader end of a chopstick).

Bake at 170 C for about 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cookies cool completely before filling with a swirl of Nutella using a teaspoon and swirling it with the teaspoon just before serving.


Or course you can just make them plain without the depression and serve them without Nutella. Just as delicious. 




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails