Wednesday, May 18, 2011

VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLLS



Remember the Thai Sweet Chillie Sauce I made in my previous post? Remember? Remember? Remember when I said things could only get better from then on? Well it did. It did ~




Just like the first spring rolls 'recipe' these hardly needed a recipe 
Which was good because I was feeling kind of slap happy ~

So what you'll need are some ~ 

finicky carrots ~ julienned
see through glass noodles ~ softened in warm water, drained
pinky prawns ~ gently boiled, peeled
imposter crab sticks  ~ from a packet, unsealed
sprightly sprigs of cilantro ~ plucked
pretty basil leaves ~ whole
minty mint leaves ~ itsy bitsy bits
or anything else that strikes your fanciful highnesses ~
But don't you ever forget those slippery glass noodles ~
Because they add such a crunchy feely-ness, people ~




Then I crushed some strands of saffron thread 
And soaked them in warm water ~ 
Until it turned into a liquid sunset 
A minute later

So I slipped in a disc 
Of the fancy rice paper 
And waited. 


While I counted to eight? 
Or nine? or ten? twenty??
Errrrr..... whatever.

But when I lifted it out 
It was not as golden yellow 
As I hoped it would be, 
(Like what I watched on my tv) 
But, what the heck I thought, 
That was okay dokey by me. 



So I let the rice paper lay 
And piled the thingys into a bundle. 
And rolled them up
Into a tight little cuddle. 
Oops...I think I heard them squeak. 
" Too tight, too tight
Loosen up a little. ~

So this is the story of Thai Sweet Chillie Sauce, Vietnamese Spring rolls, my helly belly and slap happy me ~

18 comments:

Love the Decor! said...

This seems such a refreshing dinner on a hot sumer night!!

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Sounds (and looks) delicious! I'm loving the platter as well :)

Linda said...

One of my favorite things in the world Zurin...but I love your prose...made me smile!
Gorgeous pics as well!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

one of my favourite food that I like to take whenever i visit to Vietnam, yours look refreshing and good.

Elin said...

Zurin.....we think alike !!! I made these vietnamese spring rolls yesterday :p Delicious !!! They are great with thai chilli sauce and what more homemade ones :)

Love your photos and I shall be posting mine in my next post :)

Dee D. said...

Ooh, these are one of my favorites! Never tried making them though! I'll try them out :)
Thanks for the recipe!

Dee D. said...

Ooh, these are one of my favorites! Never tried making them though, its something I need to do!
Thanks for the recipe :)

La Table De Nana said...

We love these also:) Great job..and very pretty plate!

Linh Dang said...

What an interesting idea! Did the saffron flavor the rice paper at all? We've had good success rehydrating dry pasta with flavored water before boiling them and that gets the flavor in, more or less.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love these and always pay wayyy too much for them at restaurants. Thanks for motivating me to make them at home!

Zurin said...

Linh Dang,

Im afraid the saffron did not flavour it much. I was hoping it did and that the rice paper would be a golden yellow too. Unfortunately it didnt turn out:( Maybe the saffron wasnt good enough. Although it cost me some.

tq for dropping by.

Faida said...

Im just trying my luck.Not sure if my comment could get in this time. Anyway, Aunt Zurin, you hit the spot again. thats my favorite, but I didnt know they are called Vietnamese Spring Rolls..they're mine. ok you got my advance order for my next visit to your place.

btw, as usual you're excellent when it come to background deco.

Anonymous said...

Salam Kak Zurin,
Thanks for dropping by my blog. You have beautiful beautiful pictures here and lovely blog too :)

I just loved spring rolls too. But we don't get those skin too often here. :(

Unknown said...

The spring rolls look great!

Passionate About Baking said...

I love these! I never had enough, even when I was in Hanoi last year! Yours looks wonderfully good! Goes best with their chilli isn't it?

Gloria Baker said...

Delicious spring rolls! gloria

erna dyanty said...

I love your photos despite your forgotten ISO settings! love it!

Candace said...

Thank you for the reminder of making these wonderful spring rolls! They will be perfect for the hot weather we are experiencing. I can wait to make your sauce to go with them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails