Wednesday, August 5, 2009

SOFT YOGHURT BUNS


You may be thinking "Oh no not another bun recipe!"

And I'll be thinking, " Foodies don't lie."

And you'll be saying, "What?"

You'll look puzzled and you might roll your eyes.

But I'll smile, cock my head, feel content and think, " Foodies don't lie." And I'll slump slightly and sigh....with a smile brushed across my face for the rest of the evening...feel content...and dreamily think, "Foodies don't lie."


Because Elin of Elinluv's Tidbits Corner wasn't fibbing when she sighed about what a fantastic bun recipe this was...how tender it was and how her whole evening was spent swooning and sniffing over the buns just as I'm doing right now.

God
, foodies don't lie.

And if the great bun lady (Elin) says it's good it just has to be good. So I did it, I tried it, I made it and I LOVE it. It's fabulous. It is everything Elin said it was. She sure don't lie.


KWF of Pure Enjoyment don't lie either for this is where Elin got the recipe from. Thank you both for such a luscious bun recipe.


But where both Elin and KWF used a fruit flavoured yoghurt to flavour the buns, I did not. I used low fat yoghurt simply because that was all that I had in the refrigerator and it worked just fine....just GREAT.


And where Elin and KWF sprinkled their buns with sesame seeds I did not because I did not have any. But they were GREAT even without.


Here's the recipe for 6 buns............I doubled it and got 12 golden gorgeous buns in and I used an 11" by 9" pan
250 gm bread flour
15 gm sugar
3 gm salt
3 gm yeast
100 gm yoghurt (I used plain and low fat)
60 gm milk
25 gm egg (1/2 egg)
30 gm butter

Mix all dry ingredients in one large bowl.

Put all wet ingredients and butter (except egg) in a small pot and warm it up over a small fire until lukewarm (not too hot or you'll kill the yeast). Take off from the fire and mix with a wooden spoon.

Break egg in a small bowl and beat lightly and quickly pour into the wet mixture and stir quickly and then pour the whole mix into the dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon until the flour is incorporated and a rough dough forms. Now use your hands to bring the dough together and turn on to a lightly floured board and knead for about 6 to 8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.

Lightly oil the bowl and place the kneaded dough inside, cover with a damp tea towel or cling film and let rest for an hour or until the dough doubles in bulk.

After the dough has risen take it out from the bowl and punch it down to rid it of air and knead it a little while, about 1 or 2 minutes and then roll into a log and cut into 6 pieces or 12 if you have doubled the recipe like I did. Shape each piece into a smooth ball and place in a pan (lined with parchment paper at bottom and sides) slightly apart (about 1/2 inch apart). Leave to rise until it doubles in bulk again. Brush the tops with egg wash (a beaten egg) and bake in a 170 C oven for 20 minutes.


28 comments:

A Bowl Of Mush said...

These look gorgeous! I love breakfast foods :)

Justine said...

Mmmm! I love rolls and the yogurt in them sounds lovely!

Nadia said...

nice!!

Kasey said...

Ohh, these look truly fabulous--I bet they'd be delicious with some honey butter!

Elin Chia said...

Hey Zurin,

You swooned and sniffed over those gorgeous buns!!! haha I thought I was the only :p Well done my friend :))) Looking forward to more sharing from you. Get your butt of the seat :)))

diva said...

these buns do look so soft and tender, almost like it'll melt in my mouth! gorgeous.

www.sugarbar.org

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Lovely! Looks cottony soft!

Nat said...

Mummy,

It was REALLY sedap OK. The butter compliments it well too. Looks can really be deceiving, it didnt seem that apetizing when I got back from work. Looked like normal plain buns & nothing to shout about.

BUT last nite, when u knocked on my door saying "Fresh hot buns out of the oven". I was actually contemplating whether to go down, coz was so sleeepppy right after having dinner.

Waaaaaaaaa....luckily I got up la. I will never look at buns the same way again. Ngeh ngeh ngeh. Want summore?

La Table De Nana said...

This is printed and ready for my next bun adventure!!!

Greg Wee said...

this looks seriously good! must take note.

also your sambal recipes and tortillas. Thanks, NEE

terri@adailyobsession said...

wahhhh!

Zurin said...

ABOM, tq n tq for visiting. Do drop by again :)

Justine, Thanx...:)Theyre very soft and moist.

Juli, tq dearie :)

Kasey, Hi welcome n tq for dropping by...yes m sure they wld be :)

Elin, Sniffing all over :D

Diva, tq so much...nice seeing you again :)

Little Teochew, thanx :) indeed theyre soft!

Natie dearie, at least you got up otherwise you wld have missed another blog food! :P

LTDN, hope you try them soon ! :))

Nee, most welcome :)

Terri, Yea!

chocolatecup said...

this looks sooo pillowy and soft:)

Anonymous said...

mjami - this looks so good and delicious! definitely save the link and give it a try!!! thanks for sharing!

Ninette said...

Wow, these look perfect! I don't know much about breadmaking, but maybe I should try this recipe.

Zurin said...

Chocup, yes it is very soft. do try..

Ann, hope you do try it n tq for dropping by

Ninette,you must try Ninnette..its very easy to make and good for a first bread. you cant go wrong.

Unknown said...

I made these a little differently (for laziness):
Heated the butter and milk in my microwave until I could mix the butter up, then added the yogurt (a very,very fat-FULL yogurt, technically it's actually a cheese, but it worked out great), heated that up a bit more, added sugar and yeast and let that sit for ten minutes so the yeast gets a head start on being...alive and fat I guess xD
By this time the mixture was quite cool so I could mix in the egg without worrying about accidental scrambled eggs, added the rest of the ingredients did the rest normally, except I made my rolls hot-dog bun shaped.
They got HUGE! I was not expecting that much rise. And they were SOOO good, I was torn... "eat with nutella? eat with nothing? eat with cheese? eat with hot dog? why didn't i make 10 times more!"

Zurin said...

Elodie...sometimes laziness pays :)) I wil try with FULL fat yoghurt too next time.Theyve got to be better!! ;P so glad tt you had fantastic results. tq for dropping by.

Sheila said...

You said you doubled the recipe; does your recipe reflect that? These look too good for words!

Zurin said...

Sheila, No the recipe that I have posted yields 6 buns. I doubled tt and I got 12 buns. Sorry for the confusion. yes..They are good! :)thanx for visiting.

nyonya said...

This is the best bun I have ever made. Thanks a bunch. I am even more lazy, I used the breadmaker to knead the dough.

While I didn't double the quantity, I scaled each bun into an approx 50g and got 10 buns instead. Each the size of the potato bread like those sold in Tesco. Will be making alot more of this.

Zurin said...

Nyonya, m gald you liked it. happy bun making :)

Jamie said...

These are beautiful! I first saw them over at La Table de Nana and hopped over here for the recipe. I am off to make them now.

Sabrina Rose said...

TY so much for visiting delicious-inspiration.com Your comments are much appreciated! You have some beautiful food imagery here...and these rolls, I'm definitely making them for thanksgiving!

caroliny said...

Hello! congratulations! your fan from Brazil! would like to receive updates of this blog ... .. wonderful. your recipes are great, and always work .. on his blog has no recourse, feeds to subscribe. 'd appreciate the atualizações.deste blog, wonderful, so full of feeling for all dedicação.amor and affection, with revenues running its fan of Brazil, is an immense pleasure to speak with the author of all these delights ,
Caroliny!!
advogada_-juridico@yahoo.com.br

nastacha said...

Hello! adorei.seu blog.gostaria to receive updates!
natachakollingui@ymail.com

Salomé said...

Soft and delicious!

Shixx said...

Being a novice bread maker, I just had to try these. You were right. They were awesome.I used naturally set yogurt which made the dough very wet but it turned out really really nicely. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails