Thursday, December 10, 2009

MEETING UP



It was probably like a blind date. I can't say because I had never been on one before. But I imagine that that was how one would feel. Excited, anxious, anticipating, 'imagining', and somewhat unsure. I felt quite silly too. For being excited, anxious, anticipating, 'imagining', and somewhat unsure.

I turned and saw Terri, from Hunger Hunger, an authority on Chinese cooking, stride up to me with a big smile on her face while I had my mobile still glued to my ear. It was all I could do to smile broadly back. I can't quite recall exactly what went through my mind at the time but I knew almost at once what went through Terri's.


"I thought you would be fat!" she beamed and we laughed while I made a mental note to check my blog for possible mis-impressions.

We hugged. She was as lovely as I had imagined her to be because I had seen some photos of her on her blog. Only very much prettier. But as vivacious in person as in writing.


And that was how we met, Terri and I, after almost a year of commenting on each other's blogs as one foodie to another and with some email exchanges in between. And when she arrived in KL, a few calls, some dialing of wrong numbers on my part and some texting we finally met in person. Terri was on transit on her way back to Sabah, The Land Below the Wind, in East Malaysia, after a holiday in Guilin, China.


Without further ado Terri opened up a plastic bag exposing some bright little kumquats, some gingko nuts, a much pined-for-by-me coconut shredder from the Philippines and finally, very unexpectedly, a gorgeous hand-painted miniature glass bottle from China.


We stood in the middle of the hotel lobby, our heads together, leaning over the circumference of a huge marble topped table, Terri giving me instructions on how to cook the gingko nuts and then pointing out the features of the exquisite hand-painted miniature and I, with pleasure, soaking it all in. She felt like an old friend whom I have not met in years.


Then I met her lovely family, a husband, 2 sons and a beautiful daughter and a family friend who was holidaying with them. I felt like I knew them so well because she talks constantly of her family in her blog with a deep and exasperating love that only mothers can understand.


We sat and talked for close to an hour. About our children, our blogging, our photography, our families, our mothers...... woman talk ...... I just wished we had had more time for some coffee and cake. And with each other.

Finally I felt that I couldn't keep her any longer. I knew her family were waiting to have her back. So we parted. Our voices trailing off with blogger chatter until finally I headed towards the towering hotel doors and she towards her family. A final wave and it was over.

For me, it was a great time. I hope we meet again. Thank you Terri for your friendship and warmth. :)



30 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

very lovely!!!

La Table De Nana said...

How sweet..what wonderful images !! I have met like this also and indeed it is very special..

You will treasure those tangibles..they will be reminders !!

And thank you..I now have a new blog to see:)

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Awwww ... what a sweet, heartwarming post, Zurin! And Terri is an amazing lady.

ann low said...

I think this a sweet and special date :)

food with style said...

oh i love this! i have meet too, its unforgettable, and amazing that this little box of a computer can introduce you to such wonderful people from around the globe. beautiful post!

Unknown said...

Oh, my english !
I try to translate what I have felt reading you, I can understand how strange and funny to meet somebody you know from internet and your photos are wonderfull
Thank you for sharing

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I have exactly the same feeling like you when my first time see two bloggers in real person..

KennyT said...

Wow Zurin, how lovely!! It's such a fab experience! When will we meet then? LOL

Hélène (Cannes) said...

I love to meet people I've been reading for a long time ... It's always a very good experience and we've got, each time, so many things to talk about ... In the south of France, we have a group of blog-addicts called the "picholines" (green olives from Provence) and we gather quite often ! We always have a very good time together !
Have a nice day !
Hélène

Nadia said...

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fat???? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...i think you downgrade yourself in your writings (something that sounds so familiar now LOL)..I think it's all that butt-plucking off the chair and being forced to workout by daddy LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...

Through My Kitchen Window said...

I enjoyed your story today. Isn't it amazing at how connections can be made, both onscreen and offscreen as a result of blogging. I have yet to meet a fellow blogger however I am very open to doing so. I love Helene's comment where it appears she has a blogger group going. I guess it is all validation that we appreciate each other for the exchange of stories and the sharing of recipes. Thanks for sharing.

tracieMoo said...

Aww Zurin.. I really love this post. I kept reading it over and over again. This is one of the amazing moments :) Thanks for sharing this..

Zurin said...

3 tunmmies, it was :)

Monique, tq, indeed i will :)

Ju, ye she is :)

Anncoo, It was good to meet another foodie :)

FWS, tq :) yes simply amazing ..the little box!

Chapot, tq, I love your French english It is totally charming!! yes it was a little strange n funny indeed :))

Sonia, im sure we all feel like that first time huh? :))

Kenny, yes it was...:))

Helene, How fun to have a group! that wld be amazing :))

Juli dear, LOL yes I suppose I do...must stop the butt plucking then! LOLOL

TMKW, TQ, yes its so fun to exchange stories or impressions. and recipes too. :) yes how wonderful to have a group meet once in a while! mayb we'll meet one day too. one can never know.the internet is amazing.

Zurin said...

Tracie, im glad u enjoyed reading it ;)) quite amazing.

Pei-Lin said...

Hey, Zurin! This is such a great post ... with such heart-warming moments! It's amazing how blogging can bring people alike from all over the world together! It's become a virtual brain & social network!

Oh, well! I hope these will happen to me someday ... soon ...!

Cheers,
Pei-Lin

Unknown said...

hi zurin nice meeting you had and wonderful pictures ! bravo
cheers from paris where it is very cold !! Pierre
http://pierre.cuisine.over-blog.com

Deeba PAB said...

How beautiful Zurin...a meeting of a lifetime. I loved how you wrote about it! Reminds me of the Food Blogger Connect in London last month... such a heart warming experience! xo

Cathy said...

It's wonderful to meet fellow bloggers. We get to know each other through our blogs, but there's nothing like meeting in person. What a lovely experience and beautiful mementos to remember it by.

Angie's Recipes said...

How fun!
p.s. Do you know that hand-painted miniature glass bottle a snuff bottle, which is used to store the powdery tabacco, is?
It's called "鼻烟壶-bi yan hu".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuff_bottle

2 Stews said...

How wonderful Zurin! It is funny that sometimes we feel like we actually know fellow bloggers because of the warmth, kindness and support we give each other...and the snippets of each others lives we read about.

My daughter has some gingko nuts for me...please let us know how you prepare them :-)

Diane

Barbara said...

What fun for you, Zurin!
And the little Chinese bottle is smashing!

Faida said...

How sweet Aunty. So nice of you willing to spen such time all the way to the traffic congested area. You are 'nice' person.

Ninette said...

How sweet! I'm going to meet two fellow food bloggers, Ellie and Trissa, in a couple weeks, and I'm very excited!

Gayl Koh said...

what a nice post, made me almost tear again! after our chat, i walked to gardens mall n i think i was smiling to myself all the time. kinda like a date haha! you are such an elegant n pretty lady n so much younger than i thought u'd be, n i am really happy we hit if off just like tt!it is wonderful meeting bloggers of the same interest n i am so blessed to know so many great people! yes, i wish we could've had coffee n cake smwhere n had more time to get to know each other. i'm sure i'll see you again soon, n in the meantime we keep in touch ok!

Pam said...

Zurin, I really enjoyed reading about your meeting. It's amazing how blogging can enrich your life. Mine has certainly changed since I stared. Your pictures are beautiful. I am lusting for your coconut grater! The bottle is gorgeous too! Pam

terri@adailyobsession said...

zurin: i didn't know tt i had posted under yi's friend gayl! gayl's visiting frm melbourne (u met her) n she used my computer. so tt comment b4 the gypsy chef was mine:))

Zurin said...

LOL It took me a while to figure it out myself. I went to gayle's blog and seeing that she's a ballet dancer...I put 2 and 2 together! so i guessed that you must have commented thru her blog...Gee.. I cld be a detective. ...lol...

Marysol said...

What a wonderful meeting. And even though I haven't met you in person, I feel like I've known you for many years. And not once, have I envisioned you "fluffy." :-)

Now, I'd like to meet Terri.

Zurin said...

Marysol,fluffy sounds adorable...lol
Its amazing how we get to know each other simply thru blogging....its wonderful and I feel I know you so well too...:)))n I don't ever envision u as fluffy either!:)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Aww what a lovely story! Hehe I've never been on a blind date either but I can imagine there are definitely parallels there :) Happy New Year! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails