Wednesday, June 23, 2010

DULCE DE LECHE ~ PRONOUNCED DOOL-sey deh LEH-chey


The only thing that contained my impatience was fear. The fear of being scarred for life and of the kitchen turning into a battleground. So I had to let the can sit like a little tin queen while I threw sidelong glances its way each time I crossed the threshold into the kitchen. 


Then it was payback time. I opened it and all that waiting had returned to me a deep, glorious, golden dollop named Dulce le leche (DOOL-seh deh LEH-chey). I called her name and she came. I must have looked surprised because Dulce le leche was divine and regal. I would never have guessed that she had once been a simple little milkmaid. A 'Milkmaid Condensed Milk'.


This is all thanks to Quinn of Quinn's Baking Diary. The young Quinn who bakes like a pro ( you must see her  lovely blog) and who made dulce de leche here. I had met sweet Quinn briefly when she returned home for the Chinese New Year holidays earlier this year.  She had given me a set of these bright and cheery pumpkin coloured baking accessories. Exactly what I needed.




I have plans for these line dancing dulce de leche. Oh yes I do. 



Slide to the right, slide to the left




Cha cha cha......cha cha cha.......






YEEHAW!



The recipe ~

1 can of condensed milk
A large pot
Lots of water
Small fire
Lots of patience
Time

Place the de-labelled can of condensed milk into the pot. Fill it up with water until the can is submerged with about 2 inches of water over the top of the can.

Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cover pot with a lid and wait. For at least 2 to 3 hours. Or more, like I did. I left mine on a very small simmer for about 4.5 hours. Or was it five?

Once done I left can in the pot for 30 minutes and then placed the whole pot under running water in the sink. When the can is cool enough to handle lift it out and let it stand. NEVER OPEN THE CAN AT THIS STAGE. IT WILL EXPLODE.

Let it stand overnight. Temper your tastebuds to the glory of dulce de leche the next morning.

Note: Thanks to Wendy of Table for 2 or more I realize that what I used was in fact Condensed Filled Milk (but not sweetened creamer) which is different from pure Condensed Milk. Condensed Filled Milk contains part palm oil. But hey! I'm not complaining. I got perfect dool-sey deh leh-chey, no? Sometimes miracles do happen :). 

So, my fellow Malaysians, no excuse not to make dool-sey deh leh-chey anymore, yes?

25 comments:

ann low said...

I love this post! So enjoyable reading it and makes me smile. I might like to try this "Dool-sey deh LEH-chey"(hahaa..) one day because I don't quite like condensed milk, always think this is too sweet.

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Ciao ho preso l'idea dei tuoi panini grazie hai un bellissimo blog, grazie Stefania ♥♥♥

http://coolchicstyleconfidential.blogspot.com/2010/06/pane-dipinto-mano.html

Federica Simoni said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm......che goloso!!!!

WendyinKK said...

Zurin,
May I know what brand and type of condensed milk that you used, cos as far as I know, there's no real condensed full cream milk here, and the next best thing is just condensed filled milk that has recently come back to the supermarket shelves.

I've got some local bloggers telling me they tried using condensed filled milk and well, and it wasn't like mine or yours.

Kariman Al Essawy said...

:) nice post, so funny and full of life :), nice recipe too, strange for me actually but I wanna try it.

Zurin said...

wndy, aahh managed to publish. ill go chk teh milk again im curious too.ill let u know k.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

I have a confession - I was always afraid the can would explode!!! ROFL

You've convinced me to grab that can and make this gorgeous treat.

Love the photos btw - so very, very pretty!!

Quinn said...

Zurin...Ah, you finally use the silicone baking set. You'll realise it comes in very very handy, trust me. It takes really high heat and I'm one weird girl who likes stirring things when I make dry caramel!

The 'Dool-sey deh LEH-chey' looks so so so sooooo good... So gooeey, just how it's supposed to be and so thick, definitely value for money since you can thin it down!

Thanks for the shout out and I can't wait to see what you're gonna make with it!

busygran said...

I like to read what you write. Yours is always an interesting read. Wish i could do the same. You have a great sense of humour. Keep it up! Btw, I found your baked curry puff recipe. Going to try it.

WendyinKK said...

Zurin,
Thanks for replying me thru my blog:)

Cap teko is filled milk leh, which is still mixed with palm kernel oil, but definately in lesser proportions than the F&N Vitaminzed and sweetened creamer which is fully made from palm kernel oil.

The truly real thing can be found in Spore, and coffee made with the truly real thing taste far superior than the filled milk thing.

I've been hoping to get the real thing back on the shelves more than 10 years ago, and written inquiries to Nestle, and well.. they just ask me to get from spore, hahaha, cos the real thing will not be available in Msia.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I'm so kampung ,now I just know how to pronounce this, Thanks dear. I have bookmarked this long time ago, I think i should get my hand on making this very soon.

Linda said...

I have always been afraid to try this....now I just might!
You are a brave soul Zu!
Love the colored spoons!
L~xo

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Oh Zurin - this stuff is so good.... it's lovely to eat just off the spoon - but also very tasty for making banoffee pie or putting a big dollop in the centre of muffin batter before baking. Mmmmm

They do this stuff in the UK now in pre-boiled tins at similar price to straightforward condensed milk.

Cute pics as always. x

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ahhhh DDL-o sinfully good and easy to eat by the spoonful! And I like how you lined them up on the colourful spoons like you knew that! :D

Angie's Recipes said...

I love dulce de leche...who doesn't? ;-)
I used the pressure cooker to make this treasure...or my electricity bill would be too high!

Percicilan said...

oooh yummmsss...
I got a can of CHOCOLATE condense milk. Would the recipe work with it?

Zurin said...

Hi Everyone! :))) thnak you so much fro dropping by...you know I love ur comments ;)xoxo

zurin

Percicilan,

where on earth did u get chocolate condensed milk??!!? Sounds like little heaven. Im not sure whether it will work. just buy regular. dont want to waste the choc one do you.unless you have an endless supply. frm spore ke? :))

pigpigscorner said...

I made this once with pressure cooker! Took me a long time to get over my fear, it's so worth it!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Zurin... Brilliant!! It's just heated and cooled condensed milk?? Really??!?! I would NEVER have guessed. how enlightening!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hi Zurin, I am trying to catch up with all the new posts. Am traveling now in HK and China. Luckily I can access blogs by logging onto my company server. Yes, I have seen Quinn do this recently and many other people too...:) I didn't know that condensed milk can be so complicated. I thought we only have one type of condensed milk. Hmm... maybe next time I should send you and Wendy some full cream condensed milk from Singapore..hahaha

Percicilan said...

I got the chocolate condense milk from Jakarta each time I go to train there. I stock up, guna sikit sikit because on toasted bread it is soooo heavenly yummeyyyyyyyy.
Or in coffee for that mocha taste or just... oh on like anything!

psst. New Zealand has Caramel condense milk.. hehe

Faida said...

You made me laugh with your sweet posting.
Anyway, I added another comment on the same post. again it didnt appear. So Iam trying on this one.

Flea said...

I came over from Dessert Stalkings this weekend and about DIED when I saw this. We used to make this as a kid at home. YUM! So I made a can last night and opened it this morning. Then wondered what the HECK I was going to do with a whole can of caramel.

Make brownies! Pioneer Woman ran a recipe for caramel sea salt brownies a month ago, but was unhappy with the caramel topping. I'm going to try topping mine with the dulce de leche and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Her recipe is here. I'll be using boxed brownies. :) http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/05/salted-caramel-brownie/

a quiet life said...

i was admiring your restraint on those happy spoons, so happy to see them devoured, it made me lol!

you are such an artist, my cheeks hurt catching up with all your fab posts... you just know how to share beauty!

A Little Yumminess said...

Always wanted to make this but never got round to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails