Monday, July 5, 2010

PUMPKIN SEED AND CILANTRO PESTO


" I left the seeds (jalapeno pepper) in because I am bold. " says Pam of Sidewalk Shoes of her amazingly awesome pesto.

" I topped it up with bird's eye chillies and fish sauce because I am South East Asian and crazy. " says I of Cherry on a Cake of Pam's amazingly awesome pesto. 

It had a refreshing nutty awesome taste. Mmmmm-hmmmm Hey pesto!


Then I made a pesto Pizza and I went bonkers because it was crazy awesome amazingly good. R said it was "sedapnyeeeee" ~ which translates to 'extremely delicious'.


I had also used Jamie Oliver's Pizza dough which was seriously good and crispy and crunchy. If Bob's my uncle Pesto Pizza's my Daddy. Oh yea.




But that'll be in my next post. Now it's all about Pam's pumpkin seed pesto, the whole pesto and nothing but the pesto.


The recipe ~ adapted from Pam of  Sidewalk Shoes

1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups gently packed cilantro (coriander) leaves and stems
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp jalapeno peppers ( I used bird's eye chillie peppers)
1 tsp fish sauce
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice ( I used lime)
Salt to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil


Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry pan until they begin to pop. Shake the pan on medium heat and until the seeds begin to puff up. When all have puffed up, remove and pour onto a paper towel and allow to cool.


In a food processor blitz cilantro, seeds and other ingredients except olive oil until finely ground. Then pour in olive oil in a steady stream until it becomes a creamy paste and fairly smooth.


Store in a glass jar and use for whatever you feel it's good to use on. Like pizza and so many other other things.


26 comments:

pierre said...

hi zurin when i have too much leftover of cilantro I also do a pesto !! nice picture !! cheers de Paris Pierre

Angie's Recipes said...

Love all kinds of pesto! Can't wait to try one with pumpkin seeds!

WendyinKK said...

pumpkin seed pesto!!!

Definately a lot lot economical that pumpkin seed pesto!!!
I'll try this next time if I'm making pesto.

Lidia said...

I love pesto!!!! Great!!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

This is definitely a great basic recipe to have. Extremely delicious - that is a priceless verdict and I applaud you for adding chilli!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I had absolutely no idea what cilantro was - but after googling I see it's corriander.

Sounds fantastic :-)

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Zurin!!! Oh my YUM!!! I can imagine this with bird's eye chilli & fish sauce ... crazy, but brilliant.

ann low said...

Thanks Zurin for sharing this pesto recipe. Adding pumpkin sounds great and I must bookmark it. Can't wait to see your next post!

MaryMoh said...

I haven't tried pesto. Looking at this, I'm drooling. It looks so refreshing, healthy and delicious. I think I will eat with everything. Thanks very much for sharing, Zurin.

busygran said...

Timely reminder, I have some cilantro pesto leftover. Will throw in some seeds to eat with .

Luciana said...

mmm...I love pesto!!!! this is a great and very good recipe my dear!!! a kiss

ICook4Fun said...

I always add pine nuts or walnuts to my pesto and never thought of using pumpkin seeds. Great idea Zurin. My cilantro and basil are growing like a weed so is time for some pesto!

Allie and Pattie said...

Oooh Zurin, what a great take on pesto! Have to try this one!
xoxo Pattie

Barbara said...

What a marvelous idea, Zurin! And in the fall, I take pumpkin seeds and roast them in the oven. They'd be marvelous used in this. We love pesto around here!

a quiet life said...

looks just as good second time round, and not the least but uppity!

Mary Bergfeld said...

My word! That looks to die for delicious. Your photos are spectacular. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Joy said...

I love that you included jalapeno peppers. This is a great twist to pesto.

Duchess of Tea said...

Zurin darling truth be told I had never heard of cilantro pesto, for me pesto was always basil based. This sounds sedapnyeeeee darling, I will try it this week over pasta.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oooh can you make this with fresh pumpkin seeds? I always throw out a lot of the seeds when I cook a whole pumpkin. This sounds really lovely! :)

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Una vera delizia, in italia lo prepariamo propio in questo modo bravissima :)

Pei-Lin said...

I love pesto! Ever since I discovered thru Mark Bittman, man, I'm SO addicted to pesto! This thing is good on pizzas, baked fish, chicken, pasta ... Yumm!!! Maybe I can experiment with pumpkin seeds and cilantro, too! Mint leaves, too! Man, when it comes to pesto, the possibilities are endless!

pigpigscorner said...

Love pesto! I've never tried one with pumpkin seeds though, sounds yumm!

pam said...

Well, way to one-up me on the peppers!! I shall never call myself bold again.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I'll have to give this a go. I love coriander. In fact today a woman and I had a synchronised moment in a shop when we both picked up bunches of coriander, smelt them hard and exhaled. And then we looked at each other and laughed! I've never considered using pumpkin seeds. I have pine nuts so I use flaked almonds instead. Like the bird's eye chilies and the pizza sounds superb

Zurin said...

hi everyone. I appreciate and LOVE your comments.:))

Lorraine,
I ve never used raw pumpkin seeds b4.Perhaps you cld toast them ? It mite work. Good idea not to waste :)

2 Stews said...

My son only eats a few green things and loves basil pesto. Maybe I can get him to step outside of his white box and try this ;-)

Thanks to you and Pam!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails