Monday, February 21, 2011

BANANA CRANBERRY CUFFINS


I'm elated. These cuffins made TOP 9 on Foodbuzz to day 23rd February 2011. Happy Buzzday. Thank you Foodbuzz Foodies!

Beat me. Hit me. Flog me. But please don't fog me. 

Don't those foggers annoy the nonsense out of you? I appreciate them coming around but they really should give a warning before they do. I am forever leaping and flying from one end of the house to the other. Shutting our doors and windows the moment I smell the sudden pesticide-y hiss from the fogging truck. Just so we won't get ourselves fogged and drop like the mosquitoes. Or inhale pesticides for a pre-dinner high.

I digress. 

Let me try again.

Beat me. Hit me. Flog me. But wait! I made these cuffins. I hope that makes up for lost time and blogging lapse. I've been bad. But when that squishy parcel landed in my arms I knew I wouldn't be bad any longer.

Dear Sarah-Jane of Silicone Moulds.com has again inspired me. Again. She designs the most amazing moulds and silicone bakeware. She sent me a scrunchy soft big parcel full of things a baker girl could ever wish for. And got.  I. Am. SO. Excited.

First off I couldn't wait to use these Crown American Jumbo Silicone Muffin moulds. Now I can be as Starbucky as the next Starbucks muffin. They made the most beautiful jumbo muffins ever. Only... they aren't muffins. They are CUFFINS.


Because .....they are exquisitely soft, so moist and fluffy inside, like cake, but proud, crusty and high on top like muffins. And I invented it. I invented the cuffin for those of you  who have been aggravated by my blog. For the past month or so all you would have seen was the same old Apple Pie Pizza staring back at you if ever you dropped by. I know. And I apologize.

I've used dried cranberries and some beautiful festive sugar nibs that Sarah-Jane (bless her heart) had given me as well. I have to tell you that cranberries and sugar nibs made the prettiest of friends and are perfect for cuffins. They gave my cuffins a crowning glory. I. Feel. TOTALLY. GLORIFIED.



I was trying to come up with a healthy snack/breakfast/dessert/something to eat ....I mean really healthy without butter or too many eggs with more fruits and not too sweet. So I took the risk of wasting ingredients just in case it turned out a failure. I whipped bananas and sugar, added the one  egg, and then a stream of olive oil, flour and cranberries. I was smitten. I officially declare myself The Inventor of Cuffins

The jumbo polka dot cupcake cases were gifted to me by Sarah-Jane as well. Thank you so much Sarah-Jane. I'll be on a baking roll now. :)

The recipe...........

I think it worked well and I achieved the dome of a muffin yet the lightness of cake because beating bananas and sugar was very much like beating butter and sugar. The fat in the bananas made up for the fat in butter.While whipping the oil in a thin stream was very much like making mayonnaise. It gave more volume and made the cuffins light and airy as it emulsified. The egg and flour gave them structure and held them all together and the 2 tablespoons of baking powder and baking soda gave them the dome and golden crust. Of course the cranberries added more flavour and sweetness and the sugar bits made my cuffins look like princesses at a ball. Need I say more?


5 large bananas
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil or any vegetable oil
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries, plumped up by soaking in orange juice or some weak tea if liked. And then drained 

sugar nibs if you have them (optional)

Pre-heat oven at 200 C. Lightly grease or oil the extra sides of the muffin mould. I found that it did not need flouring.

Beat banana and sugar in a mixer machine until light in pale colour (unless you use frozen bananas). Beat in the egg until light. Pour in olive oil in a thin stream and continue beating on medium until light and fluffy.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Take mixer  bowl off the stand and fold in the sifted flour etc and cranberries till flour mix disappears. Spoon into paper cups set in the jumbo muffin pan or regular pan. I filled them full right to the top. Very full in fact. Top with a few more cranberries and sugar nibs.

Bake at 200 C so that the batter rises in a burst from the high heat and after 10 minutes reduce to 180 C and bake for a further 10 minutes if regular size or 20 minutes if jumbo.

You will notice that the cuffins at the back are not jumbo simply because I did not fill the mould with enough batter as per Sarah-Jane's instructions. I had read her email to me only after I had baked the first six cuffins. But the last one was jumbo. 

Because I had empty moulds while I was baking the last cuffin I filled the empty muffin cups with water half way up. Like you would do with the usual muffin pan.



PS : I have lots more silicone moulds yet to use. So watch out for future posts!

22 comments:

busygran said...

This my kind of muffin...oops.. cuffins! Good and healthy! Don't stay away too long. Missed your postings!

La Table De Nana said...

They look AMAZING:)

Nice to see you..hope all is well!

The Sweetylicious said...

cool! cuffins (: i love the way you start the post. is so funny :D anyways, those cuffins look so soft and the combination of two favourite - banana and cranberry = fragrance and yummy! (:

Linda said...

MMMmmm...these look fabulous whatever you want to call them!
Glad to see you back and posting...you have been missed!
L~xo

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMM,..But I do think that these are like muffins!

They look wonderful!

I recently moved my blog to wordpress.com/ Come over @ my blog & check it out! You must update your RSS too!

Federica Simoni said...

mmmmmmmmm...che squisitezza!baci!!

Lacey @ dishfolio.com said...

These look divine! We'd love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Love this combo of flavors! I'm totally going to make these!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
Delightful Bitefuls

Through My Kitchen Window said...

Hi Zurin. I can't imagine you being "bad" full stop. So, you had a little break. Good for you. It sounds like all of a sudden you a jumping at the bit to post with your lovely silicon moulds. And that's great. Just like it should be. Posting when you really feel like posting otherwise what is the point.

I love your new enthusiasm and I love the way you have announced your new "invention". So funny. And why not. At first I thought you misspelt the "M" word, but I should have guessed you are way too pro for that.

Your knowledge with the beating of the banana and the sugar is new to me. Thanks so much. I love learning new cooking titbits such as this. Very useful and so much healthier than butter!

I'm sitting here this morning with my cup of tea, and boy oh boy would your beautiful cuffin go down well right this minute.

Gorgeous post as usual. Mariana xx

Rachel said...

These things are jam packed with bananas! Yum!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Blimey Zurin - it didn't take you long to get cracking ! I knew you were desperate to have a play with the Crown Muffin mould. I love it - it's fab.

Your Cuffin Muffins look really yummy and super low in fat too which is a massive bonus. Muffins are normally about double the calories.

Bet your boys polished those off for breakfast rather sharpish :-)

Love the photos. I really need help with styling from photos. Time I pay more attention and start practising

Bakericious said...

I love banana cake, these cuffins looks great!

Elin Chia said...

Hi Zurin,

I ordered some of her silicone molds...hahaha when Jo was in UK. Free shipping and she brought them back for me free :p I have yet to use them. You have once again inspired me to bake some muffins or rather now cuffins. Yours looks so yummy...you better fedex some to me :p Great post love your sense of humor...keep them coming dear :) Miss your cooking too besides yor baking.


Cheers,
Elin

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

These cuffins are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I learn something new today, this look lovely and love the wonderful pictures.

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! I love the plumped up cranberries, a berry in each bite! Great recipe!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Absolutely elated to have you back! Loved your spunk.... Cuffins! I suggest you Trademark this :D!

something good said...

Congrats on TOP 9 on foodbuzz. These muffins look so photogenic :)). great recipe.

Tricia N said...

These are such beautiful muffins and photos! I'm in love with the red and white fabric! Really beautiful!

Nancy said...

Mouth watering and beautiful! Congrats on the Foodbuzz top 9! Well deserved. Your photos are gorgeous.

susan said...

I can't seem to print the recipe off. Help please.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Very beautiful and health muffin. Thanks for the lovely post. Going to try this soon :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails