Sunday, May 15, 2011

THAI SWEET CHILLIE SAUCE



Thai sweet chillie sauce is syrupy, sweet and hot spicy. It takes under 10 minutes to make from start to finish. It's super quick. But I think the most satisfying part about making sauces, pickles, chutneys, jams or relishes, super quick or not,  is in the bottling.  Because you just know better things are about to come.

I really wanted a square bottle for this. So I went to Daiso. Got it. 

Daiso has everything. They have the littlest sauce bottles in the world too. Each slightly longer than an inch and perhaps skinnier than your little finger.  They are to bring along with you when you travel.  For when you're feeling homesick. Or perhaps to work. So quirky. Even silly me wouldn't buy them. They are just too little. :) 



But I did buy that cute spoon in the photo. I can't stop myself buying things from that store. Help.

And then I made sauce.

The recipe ~




This sauce was so easy. I got the recipe off Closet Cooking who got it off She Simmers. However, I added fish sauce and a couple more chillies for more heat. And for more Thai. Beautiful and delicious. I can't wait to dip some spring rolls in it. So Thai. So pretty. 


4 large red chillies
3 bird eye chillies
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup vinegar, I used apple cider
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 T fish sauce

1 T cornstarch mixed with
2 T water


Cut chillies up, de-seed if you prefer ( I did not). Put both kinds of chillies, garlic, water into a blender and blend until the chillies are medium fine or fine if you prefer. 

Pour the mixture into a pot. Add vinegar and sugar and bring to a gentle boil until the sugar dissolves. Add the fish sauce and taste for salt. Add more if necessary. 

Add the cornstarch-water mixture and stir the sauce until the sauce thickens about a minute. Bring it off the heat and let it cool before bottling.


17 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Yum, it does look very fresh and lovely!

ann low said...

Zurin, The color of your Thai sweet chilli sauce looks very pretty!
I love to go to Daiso, almost there everyday and buying lots of stuff :)

La Table De Nana said...

I bet home made is delish..it looks it..one photo is broken:(

Indulge in those little happinesses..this isn't a rehearsal..and they are not usually..hugely budget breaking.
If it is in the possibilities of your budget..there is no harm.
A little treat here and there for you..

Anonymous said...

I loove chilli sauces, i like having the chilli sensation on my tongue! The color of your sauce looks great!

Jocie's Mom said...

Gorgeous chilli sauce :) Love the square bottle and spoon...I imagine I'd have been sucked in to buying one of those tiny bottles! So cute. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Delish! I use a Nigella Lawson recipe for a sweet chilli jam. Unlike her recipe, I never deseed the chillies and normally opt for birds eye instead on the basic normal ones.

Cor blimey. Fire breathing dragon here I come. I love Thai sweet chilli sauce / jam. The hotter the better.

The square jar is nice, but I love your spoon x

Ana Powell said...

Truly special.
Lovely clicks ♥

pam said...

I love thai sweet chili sauce, I use it to dip just about anything in. I can't believe I can make my own!

Jo said...

Hi Zurin, this chillie sauce looks very good and I can imagine dipping some fried spring rolls into the jar.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

homemade chili sauce sound refreshing and good.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I had no idea that it was that easy to make! :o 10 minutes! I must give this a go :D

pigpigscorner said...

Daiso is evil! I can spend hours in that shop. I bookmarked this recipe too, have to try this when my current bottle runs out.

Linda said...

Zurin this looks amazing! I am going to have to try it once the chili peppers start coming in to the farmers market! Gorgeous pics my friend...simply gorgeous!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zurin, looks like we all love to go to Daiso! :) Thai chilli sauce is really good with some of the deep fried dishes. The tangy flavor somehow helps to neutralize ghe heaviness of deep fried oily stuff.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love this sauce! It's so good with spring rolls, noodles, summer rolls, everything! Thanks for the recipe. BTW, love your blue wood background too *propenvy ;p

Anonymous said...

I love the color of the sauce!! Can you tell me if this keep well in the fridge?

Unknown said...

The recipe looks wonderful. We go through the stuff like water at our house.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails