Monday, October 11, 2010

CREAMED CORN ~ CHUCK'S DAY OFF


 What would we do without passion? I suppose we would exist simply because we do. What kind of persons would we become? Without passion, without desire, without wants that rise above needs and necessities? What kind of persons would we become if we denied ourselves some space and self interest? What kind of persons would we be if we exist wholly for the service and for the pleasure of others or of something? What kind of persons would we be if everything we feel, think and do becomes a duty? Becomes controlled?

We would be persons without passion. We would be mechanical. We would be essentially inhuman. We would live a life devoid of desire, a life lacking of love, an existence empty of empathy and most of all we would be creatures without quirks and impulses, without intuition, without sensibilities, without meaning and without life.

Therefore I quirk. Therefore I make no excuses for impulses that make me do or say or write nonsensical things at nonsensical moments with nonsensical excuses. Sometimes. For making nouns verbs or verbs nouns. For thinking aloud. For clowning around. For making creamed corn. For stringing nonsensical sentences that have no meaning singly or apart. For using words like singly. For following my mind into it's crevices and it's dark turns, for squishing it here and there to test its limits, for agreeing to boggle myself and others, for letting it flow, for letting it go, with the flow, for letting it work without me or me without it. Like when I made creamed corn. A mindless recipe by an impassioned chef ~ Chuck.



Gapped-toothed, springy as a lamb and earnest - Chuck Hughes, with a holey moley basking on his cheek. He made a mindless creamed corn, passionately, and made me desire it too. It was zealously creamy, savoury and delicious. It was passionately umami-ed.


Fresh raw corn is sweet and crunchy and I love nibbling at it raw. The sugar in the corn is sensitive to temperature. So in order to keep the sugar as sugar, buy corn still in their husks, refrigerate them (in their husks) as soon as you arrive home otherwise it will turn to tasteless starch if you leave it lying around too long in a warm room.



Another way I prepare corn is to steam them (shucking just before putting them into the steamer when the water comes to a rolling boil), when cooked, I swipe butter over the cob while still pretty warm, sprinkle some salt all over and sink my teeth in. Juicy. The best. But whichever way you eat corn it's best if it's sweet. So buy fresh with the husks on and keep cool (pun not intended).

Here's the recipe by Chuck Hughes ~


3 ears corn 
1 cup whipping cream
1-2 T butter
Coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper


Husk and slice of the corn off the cob. Place in a medium pot. Add 1 cup of whipping cream. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens, is reduced by half and the corn kernels have plumped up.


Add the butter, salt and pepper. Serve. Juicy!

The result was utterly still sweet corn in a delicious creamy sauce. The best creamed corn I have ever tasted. The family just loved it. Thanks to Chuck and his grandma.



PS ~ The photographs were taken at different times of the morning. I had a hard time. 


Dear Sun, Clouds....dear God,  Peek-a-boo is not fun.



17 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Zurin, the corn dish doesn't look like from a impassioned chef. :-)) It sounds and looks very delicious and pretty!

busygran said...

I thought the pics look great, sun or no sun! And the creamed corn looks so good and...and the soup plate looks beautiful!

Elin Chia said...

Zurin, creamed corn with passion :)..looks yummy !

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zurin- have been waiting for your new post! I do everything with passion and I am very thankful that I am still in the position to pick and choose what I like yo do... :) ...I am not a corn person but your corn soup does look so sunny and fresh!

a quiet life said...

i love passionate posts. throw in fantastic pics... swoon! and such a gorgeous bowl too~

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Welcome back my dear Zurin! I want to try this ... yay, a vegetarian recipe. :) Thank you! I am currently impassioned (re: blogging) but it's a nice change to be passionate about other things. PS: I KNOW what you mean about peekaboo, LOL.

Unknown said...

Ohhh that looks so good.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious creamed corn

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Hi Kak...creamed corn looks absolutely slurrrpy!!! I shall have that with lots of passion...heheh! :D

Zoe said...

Look easy and the kids will love it.

... 哑甘 said...

My first time landing on your blog, nice blog, nice photos & nice recipes; Thanks for sharing!

MeRy said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe..I do watched this program from AFC sometimes.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

look creamy and good!

La Table De Nana said...

We LOVE CHuck Hughes and watch him on a French morning show when he is the guest..

He is so personable..funny..and nice! So nice..My daughetr and her husband are eating at his resto this Sat and I tried to contact him..I got an immediate kind response.

Now that's amazing:) Like his food..Cute cute post Zurin..We're big fans..

pam said...

Oh my goodness this is pretty. Love the corn, but oh-so-desire those bowls!

Tatieva said...

Wouah, quelle jolie découverte gourmande !
Ton blog est élégant, raffiné et les plats semblent bien délicieux... Je craque sur cette petite sauce, elle est bien tentante, merci !

Linda said...

Welcome back Zurin!]
Gorgeous creamed corn and pics as well!
I love Chuck...I recently started watching him on our new Cooking Channel...he is such a cutie!
L~xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails