Friday, August 12, 2011

HOKKIEN MEE



I had planned to do a Hokkien Mee for dinner and then decided that I might as well blog about it. This is one of my favourite noodle dishes apart from a  hearty and spicy mee mamak. To be honest I didn't know that there were variations of this dish until I googled it. I had always thought of Hokkien mee as the dark, thick sauced, fat noodle dish. Period. Now I know that Penang has it's own version as does Singapore. All three look absolutely scrummy!

This version however is really quick to put together and it must be made just before serving. Because the sauce is a simple mixture of sweet dark soy sauce, some oyster sauce and stock I find that the yellow noodles used in this dish cannot be substituted by any other because the flavour of the noodles contributes to the flavour of the dish as a whole.





I had tried using my own home made noodles but it didn't quite taste the same because it did not have the flavour particular to Hokkien Mee made with yellow noodles. The yellow noodles made a whole lot of difference. I also fell a little short cooking it this time around. I had not made enough sauce. More sauce.

The recipe ~

Serves 4 


I have to give you this recipe from memory because I had not measured the ingredients when I made it. So the measurements are approximate. 


450 gm packet of yellow noodles, blanched in hot water to soften and kept aside


Any green leafy vegetable that you like, I used sawi, washed and cleaned and cut
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
4-5 T dark sweet soy sauce
1 T kecap manis, I used ABC brand
About 3-4 T oyster sauce
 1- 1/2 cups of water or stock
a handful of prawns shelled, deveined with tail left on
1 large squid, skinned and sliced into bite sized pieces
1 slab of fish cake, sliced


salt, pepper
vegetable oil

Heat wok, pour in about 2 T of cooking oil. When the oil is hot throw in the garlic and stir fry till fragrant but not brown. Add them prawns, squid and fish cake slices and continue to stir fry till the prawns just turn pink. Add the three sauces and the  water or stock and allow to come to a boil. Just as it comes to a boil add the noodles and greens. Stir well to coat evenly with sauce. Add salt and some pepper to taste. Serve immediately.


* Adjust the water/stock and the amount of sauces to your taste. I personally wish I had made more sauce. 



8 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

My favourite too <3

La Table De Nana said...

Your chopsticks are so cute:)

WE like the dark soya sauce also..I need to get to my asian market to look for new items..

Thank you for all the authentic recipes Zurin.

Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh this is one of my favourite noodle dishes as I love hokkien noodles! This one looks packed full of flavour :D

pam said...

What are yellow noodles?

Deeba PAB said...

I want yellow noodles too ... wah! That platter looks drop dead delicious ... must go and look for this brand of noodles next time I'm at the shop. Looks so exciting!

MaryMoh said...

Ooohhhh....I love this. I can eat this everyday. Would love lots of prawns in there :D. Hope you have a lovely day. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Linda said...

Zurin this looks so delicious! I just finished dinner and I am hungry for these noodles...I am going to make your recipe sometime very soon.
I have everything here inthe house except the kecap manis...I will have to go to the Asian Market and get some. I always have the dark soy in the fridge....we love it.

Are the yellow noodles dried or fresh? I have some dried ones that I think might work...

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Bravo, Zurin! This looks absolutely delicious - just like those served at the Malaysian coffee shops! I bet not a strand of noodle is left!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails