Wednesday, August 17, 2011

STICKY THAI CHICKEN



This is another grilled chicken recipe from Rachel Allen. Thai influenced and easy. I was tempted to add some coconut cream but decided otherwise at the last minute because I thought her chicken looked yummy enough. 




We had this for dinner. I was expecting it to be a little stickier considering the name but it wasn't as sticky. Okay I'll admit I did not follow the recipe to a T.......neither did Rachel on tv.....but it was tasty. The next time I make this i would add some dry  roasted and crushed cumin seeds or a dash of cumin powder and a splash of coconut cream to the marinade. I think it would be much more flavourful. Having said that, this wasn't bad at all.

I like baking or roasting chicken. I get to nap.




The Recipe ~ adapted from Rachel Allen

6 chicken thighs and drumsticks
2-3 red chillies, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 sticks lemon grass, white part only and sliced
2 - 3 T brown sugar, I used palm sugar
juice of 2 limes
3-4 T fish sauce
a small bunch of coriander, chopped roughly and extra for garnish
salt to taste, if necessary


Put all ingredients except chicken into a small food processor and process until a loose wet paste. 


Dry chicken pieces well, slash each piece twice at intervals to allow the marinade to penetrate the meat. Place chicken into a large plastic bag. Pour the marinade/paste into the bag and massage chicken pieces gently so that the marinade covers the chicken and coats evenly. Reserve teh excess marinade for later. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Pre-heat oven 350 F


Take chicken pieces out of the marinade and place on a  baking or roasting tray. Roast for about 40-45 minutes at 350 F. Take the roasted chicken out and check for doneness by looking at the juice that runs out. If it is clear and has no pnkish hue it's done. Using a tong lift off the chicken pieces onto a large platter.


Take the excess marinade and pour into the baking tray. Place the baking tray over the stove on medium heat. Stir and adjust seasoning if necessary and reduce the sauce until it becomes a thick syrupy liquid. Pour it over the chicken pieces. Serve with hot steaming white rice.




12 comments:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Yum. I've made a very similar dish before so I can totally imagine the tasty flavours here!

La Table De Nana said...

Zurin..you have the photography down pat.
I love that your food looks real..but the back is always dreamy..the colors etc..Love the florals here..

Oh and the recipe.

Is there a special lens for from up above? I have tried my lenses and either the light's not right or I have the wrong lens:)

Zurin said...

Monique,

Tq :) There is no special lens. I use my standard lens....my one and only :)) I just adjust teh focal points to the full 9 points whenever Im shooting from up above. I also use a tripod that is more than six feet high. Oh and a step ladder to climb up to my camera....:P I wish I had more space. Its always a struggle to do a shoot here. Its all in my tiny tiny tiny kitchen.... so there is a lot of moving things aside and putting them back after.

I shd be asking you ;)

Deana Sidney said...

Gorgeous looking chicken.. I haven't made a sticky chicken in ages... opting for a straight roast... this looks wonderful!

La Table De Nana said...

I don't even understand 9 points:)
Zurin..then you are even more of an artist than I thought..
Balance..equilibrium..lighting..
Your kitchen is tiny? One would never ever guess..Where do you put all your pretties?

Linda said...

Gorgeous Zurin...I still have so much to learn about my camera...I need to get the tripod thing going and get myself a good step stool...
my hands are not as steady lately and I am not getting great shots at all...
I will try this recipe soon...grilled Thai chicken is one of our very favorites...
Wish I could come to your house and eat this right now!
L~xo

Elin Chia said...

Zurin,whether you follow to the T or not ,it looks good ;) this came at the right timing,I have no more idea what to do with the chicken in the freezer ;) shall try this;) thanks.

Jo said...

Oooh yummy! I like the look of this dish, especially the thick sticky sauce. I am sure it tasted great with rice.

Peggy said...

The flavors in this chicken sound so good! Can't wait to try it =)

Quidam said...

as salaamu `alaykum Sister :)

I'm a Singaporean based in Pakistan. I've been missing Malay food (and regretting that I've never learnt to cook it!) what with `Eid drawing near. I'm so pleased that I found your blog - you've inspired me to try cooking my favourite Malay dishes myself.

`Eid Muabrak in advance :)

Miss Tam Chiak said...

the sticky thai chicken looooooooks very delicious!!!!

terri@adailyobsession said...

selamat hari raya to you n family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails