Wednesday, June 25, 2014

YOGHURT PASSION FRUIT ICE POPS


When I blog food I feel very guilty because I find myself cooking up food secretly, putting an ear out for approaching footsteps and hiding the results from all family members until I can find the time to take photos. It feels almost criminal.

Most of the time I succeed. No one noticed these ice pops in the freezer or the traces of evidence I left behind or even wondered at my super poker kitchen face. I'm such an actor.

My besan presented a whole bowl of beautiful passion fruits that she had planted, nurtured and harvested from her orchard about 5 days ago. Thanks so much!




I have been presented passion fruit in the form of bottled cordials from Indonesia before. They (those who gifted them to me) always used the name Markisa. And these friends were all Indonesians and were so proud of their Markisa in a smiley and adorable markisa-only-exists-in-Indonesia kind of way. It was only many years later that I equated markisa to passion fruits and then finally to Malaysia slash South East Asia. At the time I was convinced they were a purely Indonesian thing. Some people would call that gullibility. I call it culinary disinterest. At the time.

Anyway, back to the future. I allowed them to ripen a little more in the bowl, as suggested by Yasmin, until the skin gets crinkly. When they did become crinkly I cut one open and saw how beautifully slushy and gooey they were inside. I scooped spoonfuls into my mouth. Passion fruits are deliciously very sweet and very tart in equal measure. So, so lovely.



These ice pops were so easy to make. Just some stirring and scooping and pouring.  But not so easy to photograph. Pergh! Now I remember the real reason I stopped blogging.

Anyway.............

Do add much more honey than I did to counter the tartness of the yoghurt. Otherwise these pops were perfectly delicious and creamy and gives a little crackle when you crunch on a seed. Almost like a poppy seed.

1 cup of low fat Greek yoghurt
2 Tbs of honey or more
passion fruit insides from 6 - 7 passion fruit, scooped out

Cut  passion fruits in half. Scoop out the insides and strain half of the fruit meat through a sieve leaving the seeds behind and juice in a bowl. Discard the seeds. Add the rest of the unstrained passion fruit to the strained juice and stir.

Measure 250 ml or 1 cup of greek yoghurt into a bowl, add honey until its sweet enough for you and then add the passion fruit. At this point you could add some milk for a more milky taste. Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed and creamy.

Pour into popsicle moulds and freeze. Enjoy.

The only reason I used low fat yoghurt was for health. You could use a cream and milk combination. or just pure Markisa juice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails