Friday, August 13, 2010

CASHEW NUT CURRY


If only maids were made in heaven I would have been a rested and happy woman in a newly cleaned and sparkling home. But no. I had to have two of the most incompetent and obnoxious maids delivered to my door yesterday. I was bluffed into believing that they were well trained and experienced. Silly me.

At the end of each explicitly explained task they stood and wavered looking extremely disgusted. I don't blame them. That is why I hire maids. Duh.

They grumbled and probably swore their way through the housework for almost three hours while I attempted to curb and guide them into some form of what I thought were logical and common sensed tasks. I think my eyes glowed.


After three hours when the job was 'done' and the house somewhat less than sparkling one of them just flopped like a sack of rice and spread herself on the floor at the front door while waiting to be picked up by the Big Bluffer. Upset as I was I almost burst out laughing. Out of pity I made conversation with her. I think we found common ground. We both hate housework. A job I had landed myself into by choice and she by circumstance.


But I think she might have liked some cashew nut curry. If she had been a whole lot nicer and I had had a pleasant day it might have occurred to me to let her bring some home. Silly girl.




It was a sad and cloudy morning and I, groggy from sleep and exhausted from the previous day's encounter with Two Maids from my Nightmare, had taken photos of the cashew nut curry I had made on that day. 

Obviously, drunk from sleep, I wasn't focused and neither were these photos.  But a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. No?


The recipe ~


This is a lovely dish. Sweet cashews in some curry sauce makes a most appetizing dish. I might also mention that I was inspired to make this after watching Anthony Bourdain's visit to Sri Lanka.


200 gm raw cashews
1 medium onion, sliced
2-3 pips garlic
1/2 inch ginger, sliced
1 T coriander powder
1/2 T cumin powder
1/4 T fennel powder
a pinch or two of tumeric powder
7-8 curry leaves


some black pepper, crushed
salt

1/4 cup thick coconut milk
2-3 T cooking oil


Pound the onions, garlic and ginger in a pestle and mortar till quite fine. 


Heat oil in a pan and saute the pounded ingredients until fragrant. Add the powdered spices and a little water, about 2 tablespoons, and saute until the  mixture turns a little darker and the oil seperates from the paste.


Throw in the cashews and stir to mix it into the spices. Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer and let it simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Add salt in between. While doing so add some water or stock if the mixture seems to dry. There should be some sauce but not gravy. It a dry sort of curry. 


Sprinkle some crushed black pepper if you so desire. Serve with white rice. 


Note ~ You may add some sliced green chillies just at the end of the cooking and sprinkle some fried onions over the top just before serving.


16 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

Haha I heard about maids nightmares from my family back home too lol
Is this curry of Sri Lankan origin? I recently saw a similar dish being cooked on one of the cooking show.

WendyinKK said...

Oh... I thought nuts are only the supporting actors in curries..
and now I see it as the main character!!

Federica Simoni said...

buonissimi gli anacardi!!!complimenti!!!ciao!!

Deana Sidney said...

I have lovely cleaning ladies... please don't be jealous... they are 1/2 my size (and I'm only 5'6") but sweet lovely ladies. I am blessed because I HATE TO CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!! but I love a clean house... that's where professionals are great. Here's hoping you find a cleaning lady who loves to clean...if you feed them that curry it will have them swooning!

I love this curry... great idea to have only nuts... how great is that? I can't wait to try it!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

that looks lovely.

I could do with a cleaning lady. I simply don't have the time.... it's always a struggle to get everything done ! Days are full juggling a toddler and work - though I wouldn't change that for anything.

I'd need to really gut out my kitchen. There is far too much stuff in here !

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zu, despite your claim about this post being 'unfocused', I really enjoyed reading this little snippet.... love that 'drunk with sleep' phrase - I have been feeling exactly the same lately... possibly an indication that we are not getting good quality sleep...hahaha.. Loved the styling of your photos!

Anonymous said...

Hi Zurin, So you hate housework too? LOL I try to avoid it sometimes but something that needs to be done, what to do. Curry and rice is always nice. And I love cashews too! Yup, I surely do miss Singaporean/Malaysian curries, the real thing, you know!

mary-anne

CathJ said...

Oh my.. poor thing have to face such maid.. that's why I am so worried to hire a maid.. But I believe not every maid are such.. :)

All the best in life.. :)

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I love cashews, I never thought of currying them! great idea!

Pam said...

A cleaning lady would work for me! This curry looks delicious and cashews are definitely the best!

Ninette said...

Hi Zurin, So glad to see you're taking comments! I've been AWOL since May, as we decided to sell our house and it was certainly a dramafest. But now we're settled and I can come visit my favorite blogs. I hope you are well.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

haha such an entertaining post zurin =) and I lurve the cashew curry idea. brilliant! i have loads of unused herbs & spices (I think i have everything on your list except for maybe fennel), and my hubs and I love nuts so I'll surely try this!

pigpigscorner said...

haha my mum always complain about hers too.

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi zurin,
Cashew Nut curry sounds very good! You're very good in trying out new recipes and new taste. It's so special! Yummy!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That curry looks delicious.

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Oh man this looks delicious! And your photographs are beautiful! Everything here looks great!
I recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! :) Thanks!
www.prettygoodfood.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails