Sunday, August 1, 2010

DURIAN BUTTER CAKE



Warning to westerners : Stinking post ahead. Read at your own risk.

Durian season is here. I think. I'm no longer a fan of the durian so I don't keep track. I once was though until I decided to deprive myself of durian for some reason. I have not had durian for the last 30 years since. I know. For durian lovers that is the most disgraceful sin ever. Unforgivable almost. But I had my reasons.

So I'm repenting. A few nights ago I grabbed a few boxes because they were on at 50 per cent disconut at Jusco. Cheap. But not to eat directly. I had a recipe that I've been wanting to try. It comes from the lovely blog of Tracie of Bittersweet. Her mom's famous durian butter cake. Boy it's good. Because I have so much to repent for I also made durian butter or jam or whatever you would like to call it. 


I have yet to try it on toast if I can only stop licking it off the spoon. Everything stunk around here. In a heavenly stinking stunking kind of way that is.

I must be dreaming but I think I can smell it from the photo just by looking at it. Can you?

Anyway, please forgive me for not taking a picture of a sliced piece but I was in such a rush for an appointment that I forgot. It's too late now. 

But it was soft, moist and buttery and of course it stunk ~ In a heavenly stinking stunking kind of way. Just the way durian devils would like it.



The recipe ~ from Tracie of Bittersweet

I made two 4 inch cakes

250 gm butter 
250 gm SR Flour
200 gm sugar
4 eggs
160 gm durian pulp (I used 190 gm)
1-2 T milk

Preheat oven to 170 C.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat each time after each addition until well mixed and fluffy. Fold in flour and durian pulp and milk alternately until all the ingredients are used up. 

Pour batter into a 9 inch round pan that has been greased and lined. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes beore turning out. Serve with the durian butter/jam if you have it.

Durian butter/jam ~

190 gm durian pulp
1/4 coconut cream
1 tap sugar 
a pinch of salt

Mix all together and warm it up on low heat stirring all the time for just a few minutes until everything comes together and thickens to a good spreading consistency. Eat.


For those who took part in my CSN giveaway please go here for the results. :)

25 comments:

Federica Simoni said...

ciao!!non conosco questo frutto!! ho letto un pò di informazioni su Wikipedia!

Non posso immaginare il gusto, ma le foto rendono benissimo l'idea che devono essere buone!!

complimenti!!ciao!!

Sarah said...

Zurin, I've never eaten durian or even smelled it. LOL
The butter cake looks delicious though. ~ Sarah

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I've only "heard" of Durian. It seems to be one of those last 10 things you must eat before you die.... That's if the smell doesn't kill you !

Is it REALLY that bad ? I suppose it must be when durian is banned from many places.

The cake looks nice though :-)

il sapore del verde said...

Your blog is fantastic... I see you again. Ciao. Deborah

ann low said...

Oh..I've also thought of baking a durian butter cake too. Your durian batter cake looks so good, must add yours in my list, thanks!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zu, I cannot imagine staying away from Durians for 30 years... As for durian baked goods, I have my reservations..I always thought after baking, durians smell funny - stale nutty kind of smell. Maybe I should give this one more go before I condemn all durian baked goods.

pam said...

I don't even know what a durian is!

Quinn said...

Zurin, you gotta google a picture of durian, both whole and the cross section of it here to show your readers! I love this king of fruit. Durian cheesecake with chocolate fudge, best cake ever for me!!!!

WendyinKK said...

I've got a few blocks of butter that stank of durian cos my FIL kept the exposed durians nxt to my butter!!! And indeed the cake smelled of durian when I baked with one piece of that polluted butter.

Maybe I should just make durian cakes out of all of the butter. Nice timing for this.

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks really moist and delicious!

Luciana said...

My dear, even I know this fruit but the recipe looks very inviting and delicious!!! Kiss, Luciana

busygran said...

Hey! that's my favourite kind of cake! Yummy......durians!

2 Stews said...

Durian? I have never heard of it...I must be living under a Foodie rock! Sounds stinking good...thanks for enlightening me!

Maria said...

I LOVE durian! I'll have to try this recipe!

Joy said...

Great recipe. My husband loves durian, he would love this cake.

Linda said...

This looks amazing!
I have only tasted Durian once...I had a Filipino co-worker who turned me on to it...smells bad and tastes great!
Your cake looks marvelous! As always!
L~xo

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Zurin I'm so with you but I just can't get into durian! Hubby likes it though and I think that he would really like this! :D

petite nyonya said...

can't believe you didn't had any durians for 30 yrs!! i crave for it now although the last time i had it was about 2 mths ago :). your lovely cake leaves a trail of the most fragrant of smell and delicious of taste!

MaryMoh said...

That looks really gorgeous...mmmm...delicious. I haven't seen durians here, so no chance to make :( Can only dream about it...your pictures :D

Anna Johnston said...

I'm so curious, I've never eaten or smelt Durian before either, but this sounds wonderful. I'm with Sarah-Jane, one of those things I have to do before I die - I'll add it to the list :)

3 hungry tummies said...

Oh I can smell the aroma from here (I wish!)
Looks fantastic Zurin!

Phyllis said...

Wow, this looks like heaven to me! I'm bookmarking your recipe so I can make it the next time my 'westerner' husband allows me to bring home a durian (LOL)

Dina said...

i hadn't heard of durian until i read your post and then i googled. i have seen the fruit before but never knew its name or a use for it. thanks for your post!

Sook said...

The cake looks so moist and perfect! Yum!

Tricia said...

Made this the other day ... very good. I added more durian ... Hmmm... sooo fragrant!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails