Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MY CAKE DECORATING CHALLENGE ..PART TWO


It has been more than a week since I have made an entry. That's because I have been spending most of the time kneading colours into fondant which as always seems to take forever. And each time I have gotten the colour kneaded in evenly I found that it needed just a touch more. I then start the kneading all over again with the additional pin drop of colour punctured into the ball of fondant. And by the time that was done and the colour had evened out again I then realise that I much prefer the previous shade. It has been completely maddening. For those of you who have worked with fondant you know how painful that is.

And if you have had to keep the ball of fondant overnight (tightly wrapped) because you haven't the time to finish it all off you know that you will end up with a ball of fondant that is rock hard and with which you could effortlessly maim that ear piercing surat khabar lama man (old newspaper collecting man) who revvs by your house about 5 times a day and shrieks like a banshee in the stupor inducing hum of the afternoon for a few deafening minutes each time.

I have also made countless successive trips to the baking supply store, The Cake Connection, at One Jaya which is the only store that sells a small range of Wilton colours and a good variety of sugar paste flowers that makes me stop and wonder why I bother making my own.

But make my own I must. As a matter of fact, I have requested my daughter to get me some more food colours and mail them to me from the US. I have also requested her to get me some maple leaf and other strange looking leaves gum paste cutters in the smallest size so thatI could attempt(note: I said attempt) to make a Martha Stewart wedding cake like this..........



Isn't it lovely, pretty and whimsical!!!!! I soooo love it and so does my sis in law.

Although I will only be making a single (1 level) cake (not 3 tiered) and that the design looks easy enough I just discovered yesterday that I would not be able to make it because my daughter has not been able to get hold of the leaf cutters. Getting them online is an option but it is not one that I am willing to make at the moment. But isn't the cake just adorable? sigh...

I have made some fondant roses though and although my first ones after a long hiatus were exceedingly short of spectacular all in all they weren't too bad. I still can't get the colours right...I am going through a 'I-don't-know-what-colour-I-really-want-exactly-but-I'll-know-when-I-see-it' phase and is something that I simply have to shake off if I still want slender/weak/wimpy wrists. Hulk Hogan I am not and have no intention to be. I see a long and winding road ahead and the pin of light at the end of the tunnel is no where in sight.



Do you like the colours?


I have no idea what the cake might look like because I still have a month to have a long drawn discussion with myself (my sis in law has been so kind and has left the decision making to me although, like me, she does love the Martha Stewart cake above). I know that I will use roses and some other tiny flowers in a combination of three colours............. perhaps like so.....


What do you think?

11 comments:

GFAD said...

Your recipe in the previous post, the sugar paste can be used to cover the cake as well?

I just completed my first fondant cake. It was fun to do!! But I used ready made sugar paste, so all I had to do was knead and shape!

Will follow you along your journey! :)
kat

Zurin said...

kAT, no that is only for flowers and figurines. I'l post the recipe for rolled fondant when I make it k. stick around! :)

terri@adailyobsession said...

ur roses r beautiful. my sugar paste teacher said each person will somehow make her very own roses, each one diff fron the other person n yours look very similar to mine, with thin curled edges :D

Zurin said...

yes thats true Terri. each person her own. But Ive discovered that to make different roses u just need to tweak ur techniques a little and they do come out different. I never had a sugar paste teacher. wish I had. sometimes u learn a lot of tips frm them. I had to learn thru trial n error. it was painful :D but fun.

ganache-ganache said...

I like your roses, so real so gorgeous ! The ones that we made at the fondant class looked so thick, I can never make roses like yours :(

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

so beautiful !
I m cracking head finding roses for my baker to make! and how I wish I can make my own roses ! ; (

Zurin said...

Lorraine, tq..thickness can be thinned with the 'ball' tool easily. try again..dont give up so quickly...I didnt

Denise , tq...u can do it too if u gv it a shot...try try try...

ganache-ganache said...

Oh no, I've got clumsy fingers & like I say only D in my art :(

Zurin said...

Aww Lorraine....I stil think u shd try..skills can be learned n repitition improves things..4 some people it takes a little longer n harder bt u wl reach there..if u want it badly enuf.:)...believe me, Iv seen it happen.. in my own home.

Nadia said...

lol i still have yet to attempt making my rose fondant:P my first was the one you taught me...

i justasked if you want the leaf cutters again..seriously..now i'm kind of..ala mummy..just get the leaf cutters la lol...oh btw I LOVE the color combination!!!

can't wait to see whatthis cake will look like!

Through My Kitchen Window said...

The roses look so beautiful. You are brave and determined and I admire your efforts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails