Saturday, March 5, 2011

CAKE CONNECTION SUGAR ROSES CLASS



No I haven't vanished. Again. I've been busying myself making sugar paste roses, hydrangeas and leaves for a small wedding cake that I had agreed to make. I have to say I've lost a little bit of the passion I had had once....a few years ago. I wonder why, myself. But I think it has a lot to do with cleaning up after. Sleepless nights. And stress. I guess.

So it was very timely that I visited Cake Connection a few days ago to get some supplies. Cake Connection is located at Jaya One and has a beautiful supply of gum paste flowers and cake decorating ingredients and tools. As I was paying for my electric and apple green food colours  I was introduced to A World of Roses sugar paste class. I felt a flutter of excitement. So I enrolled almost immediately. My first sugar paste class ever! 

With the class coming up I had a feeling that all I had taught myself was going going going down the drain. I know that I had probably picked up some wrong techniques, some weird habits and have made wrong conclusions from the various sugar paste books and instructions that I have collected over the years. Now it's time for a total sugar paste roses make over. I was totally ready.

This class taught us to make 4 kinds of roses. Intricate wired roses, un-wired roses, ribbon roses and miniature roses. Oh the miniatures were so adorable! And the wired ones were gorgeous. It also taught us how to use petal dust, how to make rose leaves and to colour them. . Lynette was our talented instructor throughout the four hour class. Thank you Lynette. It was very enjoyable and enlightening.

I was glad it was a small class because I was quite the klutz. Stress was written all over some of our faces because we were told to hurry otherwise we would be short of time to make the other roses. 

First off we were taught to make wired petals so that it had time to dry and harden by the time we finished with other roses. We used spoons to cradle them and to give them shape. Why didn't I ever think of that!



This was how it started out. Rolling out the gum paste with wire inserted and cutting out the shape.




After some thinning of the edges and some cupping of the petal and curling of the edges we then had a finished petal ready to be rested on a spoon and air-dried..... 





We made 5 of them and air dried them while we proceeded to make the bud and inner petals of the rose.





The half rose ready and standing. Mine in the forefront.




Then we attached the 5 wired rose petals that we had made earlier to make a full blown rose. We then made and attached the calyx and ovaries (yes.. Lynette said ovaries and we all had a good long giggle) at the base of the rose. And finally we dusted them with pink petal dust.......


The finished rose. Gorgeous no? 


We made and coloured some rose leaves.....steamed them over a kettle to deepen the colour......




 And we made  gorgeous ribbon roses.....so easy and fluffy....YUM..



The cool and cozy Cake Connection kitchen....I'd love another class...Inspiration has found me again...


Lynette the instructor in striped blouse. Me, behind the camera.

24 comments:

The Sweetylicious said...

im glad you're back! (: those flowers look so GORGEOUS!! (: i love it!

La Table De Nana said...

The roses are beautiful..What a fun class..So glad you found your mojo again:)
That IS exciting.

ICook4Fun said...

They are so beautiful and look just the real ones. I always wanted to take classes like that.

Kitty Kanzashi said...

They look so real!

Bake for a Queen said...

beautiful roses!

fimere said...

ces roses sont magnifiques, une très belle réalisation
bonne soirée

Linda said...

Zurin those are just beautiful and soooo delicate! I would be hard pressed not to know they were real...great job. Good for you!
I have never attempted anything like that...maybe someday I will!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zurin, this is beyond GORGEOUS!! They look so real! The coloir graduation is so natural... Wow! I am still doubtful if I could do this for I have never been good at crafts... Looking forward to see you incorporate this into your wedding cake...

Through My Kitchen Window said...

Breathtaking photos Zurin. The roses look so delicate and so beautiful. Sounds like you really enjoyed your class. And learnt a few extra tips! It's wonderful to hear you sound so bouncy and refreshed. And I hope the recipients of the wedding cake know just how lucky they are! Really gorgeous post.

pigpigscorner said...

I thought they were real!

Murni said...

Been following you for quite sometime... Am glad you're back.
Love those roses,they're just stunning... wish I'ld be able to make those someday

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

cantik...nampak real...different drp apa yg dilihat sebelum ni....i wish i pun dpt attend class mcm tu disini....

Marysol said...

What a lovely garden of sugar flowers.
I haven't made roses in quite some time, but I use the plastic spoon method too, although, I broke the handles off of them to make them easier to store in my toolbox.

Speaking of roses, I have yet to make the 'ribbon' roses. And yours look so pretty and fluffy.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Unknown said...

Zurin, what talent! Look forward to the finish product - pictures please!
-Nor dari US

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

wow - those are amazing. I so want to do a sugarcraft class.. I doubt my results will be good though - I am rather clumsy...

Bakericious said...

looks so beautiful, wish I am able to make it too.

Elin said...

Zurin...these roses are beautiful...thanks for sharing how you make them. Gald that you found your inspiration again :)

Cheers,
Elin

Harry Weir Photography said...

Just Amazing... Was shoting cakes last week with iceing daiseys and bunnies. Wish i could do this.. Harry.

adrianne said...

hello zurina,
came across these pics on the internet and i thought they looked familiar (hehe as my face was in it)..

thank you again for taking those pics and you have a lovely blog with many great pieces of art. please don't stop making wonderful things or let the spirit of doing what you once loved slipped away. i do agree the cleaning up is very tedious but all in all, its very rewarding right? especially when your customers or people who received them were left with awe and admiration for your great work of art and of course, the yummy cakes that you make with great efforts and passion.

zurina, never lose that mojo okay? you take care and it has been nice knowing you =)

p/s: your roses looked gorgeous on that cake and yes, i love the pink hues that you have created. superbly romantic!

warm regards.

Zurin said...

Adrainne,

Thanks for dropping by. Glad you found my blog. It was nice meeting n knowing you too. What a fun class it was and I learnt a lot. It definitely helped.

Tq for the encouragement and the same to you too. Hope you re busy making roses as well :)) I have another cake to make in two months time and Im certainly making use of what I learnt. Yay.

perhaps we'll meet again. Warmest,
zurina

adrianne said...

dear zurina,

thank you too =) i wished i had the time to make the roses now..i'm busy but nothing to do with my love for cake decorating..sigh i guess it has to wait, although i'm feeling very gatal to make them hehehe..i went for the orchid class too..you should try that some day, the flowers are very lovely and it's an interesting class.

and one more thing, i do admire your principle - will not post without a decent photo =) i have a canon 1000d for beginner, but also have no time to play with it..i love food photgraphy and like you a macro lens is the next thing i would love to have hehe..

and i wish i can explore the many recipes like you too. i wish we can have 48 hours a day!

yes, hope to meet with you again.
take care zurina.

warm regards.

Jim Petulla said...

Amazing roses.Entertainment Career Connection

Maria cristina said...

WONDERFUL
CRIS

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails