Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thai Green Chicken Curry


I actually thought that I would be posting a tuna sandwich recipe that an extremely kitchen challenged person could make but since I was making a Thai green chicken curry for dinner I might as well make it look pretty and take a picture.

I love Thai curries for their fragrance and plentiful use of herbs in the curry paste. It is very different from the Indian or Indian influenced Malay curry where dry spices dominate. Thai curries seem very delicate especially so the green curry, my favourite.

To my sis who asked for the recipe but is too lazy to look at my blog. Here it is. In my blog.

8 chicken thighs, skinned, deboned and cut into pieces the size of small postage stamps.
2 pieces kaffir lime leaves
1 1/2 Tablspn fish sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
salt to taste

1/4 cup frozen peas

1 cup thick coconut milk
1/2 cup thin coconut milk

Ingredients to be ground in a food processor with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil:

5 slices galangal/lengkuas
1/2 inch piece ginger/halia
2 medium sized large red onions
12 cloves garlic
2 stalks lemon grass/serai
2 large green chillies
1/2 cup chopped coriander roots and stalks plus if you like the tops(leaves)
1 tsp ground coriander powder/serbuk ketumbar
1 tsp ground black pepper/serbuk lada hitam
1 tsp shrimp paste/belacan


Pour 1 cup of the thick coconut milk into a small wok or pot. Put in 4 tablespoons of the ground ingredients and the kaffir lime leaves and bring to a boil and then to a moderate simmer. Let the paste cook in the coconut milk until the milk evaporates to half or two thirds its original amount and some oil rises to the top or until the paste does not taste raw when you taste it. Probably about 10 minutes or so. I forgot to time myself.

But I don't find it is not necessary for the oil to rise to the top although there will be a slight sheen on the surface after the dish is done.

Add the chicken meat. Add salt, sugar and fish sauce. Adjust salt to taste. Allow to simmer until the chicken is cooked. (I like my curries a little on the salty side).

When the chicken is cooked add the thin coconut milk. You may add more of less depending on how much gravy you want. The consistency I like is like that of fresh milk. Some people like it thicker. So it is all a matter of taste really. Add peas and simmer gently for a 30 seconds more.

It's done. Serve hot with white rice. Revel.


OR


Saute 3 to 4 tablespoon of the ground paste in 2 tablespoons of oil until fragrant and the paste turns a darker green and oil rises to the top. Then add the thin coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, sugar and salt to taste. Bring to a boil then simmer. Add the chicken pieces and then the thick coconut milk and simmer until the chicken is cooked. Add peas and adjust salt again.

Serve with hot white rice.

TIP : You will have extra green curry paste. Keep it in your fridge or feezer for two more dishes of the same amount as above.

TIP : Usually only the roots and stalks of the coriander leaves are used but I included the leaves because I wanted the curry to be more green which is my favourite colour. Always. Most of the flavour are in the roots and stalks though.

TIP : I did not include the fiery bird chillies because everyone at home except myself are heat intolerant. Add if you want a really spicy and 'pedas' Thai green curry.



1 comment:

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

This is just perfect! Love the colour and that is a great photo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails